A Challenge Of A Lifetime!

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Training Day...Feels like the first day of school!

Well today was our first training event for the ski team. Several of us strangers met up to carpool and dodge the bullets as we headed to Richmond to hopefully have a good hike. The car drive was interesting....getting 3 completely different personalities into the car made for an interesting ride. We all chatted about why we were doing this event. It appears that the general motivation behind the event is to get in shape. While that is a good motivational tool, my main motivation was b/c my cousin (who might I add is only about a year younger than I am) was diagnosed this year with Lymphoma. She has recently been able to lift her arms up and do the Rocky victory dance that, as of this moment, she has survived the disease.

When I received the email about the ski team I had an immediate response that I REALLY wanted to take part in this. I know that the next 4 months will be full of pain and suffering, but no more than my cousin and millions of people who suffer from leukemia and lymphoma suffer from. Why do this? Simply stated if everyone helps just a little then we might be able to cure this disease.

Back to the day of training....The three of us, practically strangers arrived in Richmond to a crowd of people milling about, some with clip boards yelling to sign in, some yelling to pick up our jerseys, and still others walking around with a dumbfounded look on their face (I am not excluded from this last group!). After about 20 minutes we all joined together to hear about what the next 4 months would entail and just how serious we need to be. As our main trainer started to speak, my jaw dropped (in typically non-couth Patty form). He looks exactly like the guy that I have been interested in. Our trainer called me out on my staring at him when we broke to start the hike. Talk about an embarrassing way to meet your trainer, with your mouth dropped down to your chest and a look of pure shock on your face. My thoughts at that moment... Am I going to embarrass myself all season? Time will tell I suppose!

More to come later......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home