A Challenge Of A Lifetime!

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Pesky Blisters!

I am going to back up and briefly chat about our hike in Richmond. We hiked anywhere from 2-6 miles depending on the person. As we were nearing the end of the hike I noticed that my feet were bothering me. I didn't think much about it until I got home. When I arrived home that afternoon I noticed that I had developed 2 huge honking blisters on two of my toes. All I could think in my head is NICE you retard...is this forshadowing for the season? For the last several days I have been babying my poor feet b/c of these dang blisters....Oh well...such is life I suppose. Just when you think everything is going well....BANG you develop a blister.

I decided to take Sunday off from working out and I chilled out with some friends. Monday rolled around and it was back to the grind, I swam that day on my own. And today, November 15, was the teams first week day practice. This morning I trained with my trusty personal trainer who was happy to step things up a notch and kick my booty! So you can imagine that by the time that evening rolled around, I was exhausted and not really looking forward to working out again. I had to dig deep to rally myself up for the extra workout.

After we all finally found each other at the track, we did all the warm up exercises that we had learned on Saturday prior to our hike and then we walked/ran the track at Kezar Stadium. For those football fanatics out there, Kezar is where the 49ers played prior to getting Candlestick...a long time ago obviously.

To be honest, I am grateful that I train so much on my own, b/c these session didn't feel that helpful for me. I am going to blame my personal trainer on making me a snob when it comes to training. I know that the training is going to get harder with intensity, so I suppose I should reveal in thinking that things are easy right now.

We must have been a funny site for all the runners on the track tonight. At the end of the session we were stretching. Some of the stretches were to balance on one foot...so many people don't have balance so they were bouncing all over the place...they sort of looked like pogo sticks! I am sure that it was pretty funny looking down on us. We keep getting reassured that the people that are having issues with their balance, it will improve b/c balance is key for cross country skiing. The leader was demonstrating one stretch that apparently is so important b/c our skiis have potential of separating while we are climbing a hill. My thought, and to my embarrassment it was a thought that was outloud and not in my head, was that great...my biggest fear is to do the splits on accident and pull something. I can see the newsflash now, "Woman can't finish ski event b/c she pulled her groin muscle!" As embarrassed as I was that I had spoken that outloud, at least I got some laughter from it. And not just the regular sort of laughter, but the sort of laughter that was a nervous laughter....so I knew that my fear wasn't just my fear, but it was shared by several other newbies to cross country skiing!

While we were stretching, we were talking about the fundraising aspect of things. We are all getting geared up to fundraise the money for our ski event...and can I tell you that I am super nervous about fundraising that much money. Some people just don't want to part with their money, no matter what the cause. I just hope I don't run into any problems along the way with raising the money.

That is it for now....I have more to share after our hike this Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home