A Challenge Of A Lifetime!

Monday, March 06, 2006

I got Crabs at Humpy's!

The morning dawned and I had been awake for hours...I think I was so overly tired that I just couldn't sleep well. I got up and started moving b/c we had our victory breakfast this morning! After moving very slowly due to some really tired and sore muscles, I got downstairs and started chatting with my teammates. We were all excited that we were done, but there was an underlying sadness b/c we knew that our season was over.
After we we all ate, the coaches started walking around giving us our medals! That was THE biggest surprise ever for me! I had no idea we were getting medals for having completed! We all have our badges of honor! As Coach Mary was putting my medal over my head, my sister was video taping it and my brother in law was humming the Olympic song! Which has my table laughing!
Once we all got our medals, our head coach gave us a talk about potentially loosing interest in working out, about sore muscles, etc. Then the group that was going to be going ice climbing left, the group that was going to see glaciers left and my sister, Doug and I were left to go tour the Anchorage newspaper. The paper that my sister works for and the Anchorage paper are both owned by the same company. So my sister wanted to meet her counterpart in Anchorage. We toured it for a good hour or so, my aching muscles screaming with every stride that I took. In all honesty, it was cool to see the newspaper and how it differs from where my sister works.
After wrapping up our tour, we walked out into the cold and snow and decided to drive to the ski resort an hour away. We had all day to fart around Anchorage b/c our flight was a redeye that night. We got to Aeleska ski resort and decided to eat lunch at a pizza joint that we had heard about. We also drank some beer.....and boy did that taste good!
After we messed around Aeleska for awhile we drove back to Anchorage, and basically were bored out of our minds waiting for the time to actually get on that plane to start the commute home. We ran into my teammates at Humpy's bar and grill (gotta love that name!). My sister, Doug and I ordered a few things to share. We ordered the crab and some halibut, and with the crap came a little present! It was tool used to help crack the leg of the crab....the funny part was that on handle part it clearly stated "I got Crabs at Humpy's". Of course I found great humor in that and had to walk around to my teammates tables and whisper in unsuspecting teammates ears that "I got crabs at Humpy's." The response was pretty universal....they all would spit their beer or soda out of their mouths (yes that is right, I waited until they would take a sip of something before I approached) and start laughing. Nothing like a good laugh after torturing ourselves with a day of torture!
Soon after we had to head back to the hotel to grab out items and leave Anchorage to go home. Some people were staying for a few extra days, but the majority of us were high-tailing it home.

How did our flight go? Was it smooth? Did the gods have mercy on us after having tortured ourselves skiing......more to follow.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home