A Challenge Of A Lifetime!

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Time is Ticking Away

This past weekend the team had off from our team workouts. Some people went to Tahoe and skied on Saturday and some skied in the President's Day Race at Donner Resort. I was out of town and wasn't able to ski. I did however get 2 really good swim workouts in, so I didn't feel too guilty. Plus the team is starting to taper our workouts b/c the competition is 10 days from now and we leave in 8 days for Alaska. It seems so strange to say that considering it feels like yesterday that I started this challenge. To date I have skied over 140.7K, which means that I have skied roughly 87.5 miles. Even seeing that written in black and white shocks me! Wow!

That figure is not including all the hiking miles, swimming miles I have done, as well as any of the strength training and endurance training I have been working so hard at over the last several months. I can honestly say that I am pretty proud of myself. This is a huge accomplishment for me. I was really worried about my knee and back during this process. Luckily, both have held up very well. I have had some flare ups but nothing too bad that it took me away from training for too long.

As I briefly mentioned above, we are tapering our workouts this week and next. Meaning that we are decreasing the intensity of our workouts so our bodies aren't tired for race day. We are all still working out but not at 100%. This Saturday we have our last ski practice, which also happens to be my birthday...strangely enough. The ones of us that will be skiing the 40K will need to ski no more than a 20K, or 12.4 miles. The coaches have been very adamant that we need to conserve our energy reserves and oxygen levels in our body for race day. I have been following it pretty well. I have to say it is strange to have the free time that I have had the last few days. When we were at the peak of our workouts, I was training in the morning before work and most evenings after work. I would take one day off a week and sometimes would take an evening off if I was really tired physically. Now I am training in the morning a few days this week and a few days next week and that is it (not to mention our team ski day on Saturday). I have my evenings free again and to be honest it is a strange feeling. I haven't had this much free time in months. To be honest, I haven't really been doing anything b/c I want to make sure that I am relaxed and focused on this competition. Finishing this race is the goal that I have and I need to keep that in sight.

Several people want me to celebrate my birthday this year, but with it one week before the race I am opting out of celebrating. I have, however, decided to celebrate my birthday and the completion of this race after the race. Though I can't do too much celebrating b/c I will have a few more races to compete in after the Alaska one. Yes, that is right, I have decided that I like this sport so much that I will be taking part in a few more races. Why not? I have worked so hard to get in good shape, I might as well do it while I can.

Farewell for now....I'll write more after our last team ski day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home