A Challenge Of A Lifetime!

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Journey Home

The redeye home was miserable. We were all tired and cramped feeling and VERY sore. Hey, what else do you expect after having just skied a 40K!? We all looked like death when we arrived in Seattle for our layover. By the time our flight was ready to leave Seattle for San Francisco, I was so tired that I could hardly see straight.

The flight itself was smooth.....it was the baggage claim that wasn't so smooth. Just picture a bunch of tired skiers that ahd just gotten off a redeye hoping for their bags to be the next one off the belt...then BOOM, the baggage claim belt stopped working. We waitied for close to 45 minutes for it to start working again, only to psych us out a few times.

While we were waiting, Doug came up with the brillant idea to go get the car. Once that belt started working again we could grab our stuff and jump in the car. We were so close to washing our hands of the airport I could taste it! Unfortunately, it wasn't that smooth...we got our baggage and Melissa and I were waiting outside for Doug. We were in mid-conversation when what looked like a homeless woman walked passed us and stared at us for a brief moment. When she turned to walk away, I thought we were in the clear...that was a fleeting though. She turned around immediately and posed the question "Who should I contact if I was beat up?" Melissa and I looked at each other in stunned silence. One of us piped in, "You need to contact the airport security so they can help you." We felt it was logical, apparently that woman didn't. She ranted and raved for a while about how she is never helped and she had just been beat up! And in all honesty she didn't look beat up....in fact she appeared to have been on the streets for awhile. My sister had a brillant idea and started inching away from her....but for some strange reason I couldn't drag myself away from the ranting woman. I was hearing things about how a celebrity followed her from the east coast and had beat her up and no one would help her. It truly felt as if I was in a daze. After skiing a 40K, taking a redeye home, waiting for our luggage for what appeared to be an ETERNITY, and now hearing this woman rant about a celebrity beating her up.....I swear I thought I was going crazy!

Luckily, Doug arrived with the car not long after and yelled at me to move my booty so they could leave...I later found out that Sis had leaned over and warned him of the crazy lady that I couldn't tear myself away from. The drive back up to SF was uneventful. We ate and they dropped me off at my house. And it was at that moment, standing alone in my apt, that I realized that I had done it!

I can not wait for the 06-07 season. I will come back to skate ski instead of the classic ski that I did in this race. Hopefully you all will stay tuned! Until next time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home